Saturday 2 February 2019

Be a Mermaid !


We all have times when we feel overwhelmed with all the supplies we have. This months challenge gave me the opportunity to strip it right back and be inspired by the few things I'd been allocated.

Here are the my 5 items :




I knew as soon as I saw the stencil that I wanted to do a mermaid. I have used the blue Dylusions Paint to create a back ground.I got very messy on a mat with paint and black and white gesso to create many tones. Amazing what 1 colour can create !



I was confident that I could create a tail for my mermaid but needed a body for her.
I have flicked through a box of magazine clippings and I've found this gorgeous
 vintage lady in a calendar. I've used her top half only.

To create more ocean like features in the background, I've used the Lime paint with a stencil I've borrowed from the Scrap Matrix class room. (with permission of course)



Her body is not stuck down just yet. I've used some scrap card to sketch out a tail and cut it out.  My first layer is Dylusions ink sprayed on it. Once, that was completely dry, I've used some glossy clear medium through the scales stencil. When the gloss was drying it seemed to separate the blue hue from the purple spray, which gave it a really cool effect that I had not planned for !

Once it was all dry and stuck in place, I've painted in a bikini top using the green again, and used white gesso to create flowing hair. The gesso gives a good start to getting good colour. with the first layer. I have cheated a little bit and used the Laidback Lilac paint the matched the spray (this was not one of the 5 items supplied).

I have then added highlights using a white and black pens, and black water soluble pencil. 

Thanks for stopping by to check out how I created my mermaid ! 












No comments:

Post a Comment