Monday 12 November 2018

Tam paints petals and adds metals.....

 
 
Good morning Scrap Matrix lovelies!
 
Tam here again to share my second post for our very cool challenge "Metals and Petals".


 
 
I got a bit painty with this one, inspired by someone I love and follow on Instagram - Lydell Quin.
 
I just love that background, and I love the contrast of the metal  flowers against the arty background.
 
 
 
 
 
So let's take a look at how it came together.
 
I began with a background sheet of paper from 7Dots Garden Party Range.
 
 
 

I then decided to add colour using Prima Watercolours in Tropical.
 
This required a layer of gesso to protect the paper.




I swiped it on using an old store card - and really only put it where my painting was gonna go.




I decided to go with blues - I selected this colour as both my girl and I were wearing blue in the photos I wanted to use.
 
So I began - initially I just kinda blobbed it on (yep technical term).  Make sure to use plenty of water. This helps it to look blobby rather than painted on.  Not sure if that makes sense.
 
Anyway, I used the two different shades of blue to create depth.
 
I then added flicks by tapping the end of my brush.
 
Hmmmmm they don't really look like flowers at this point.....




I let it dry and began to look at the blobs - thinking, which of these could become flowers.
 
I then went over these, and moved the brush gently, hoping this would look like petals.
It kinda worked!!!  I also let some run down the paper a little.
 
I then added some greens in various shades, in between the flowers and around the edge.  These will be leaves. I didn't try to make leaf shapes - just more blobs.




Can you see the flowers yet???
 
I can!!
 



Time to get out my Dina Wakley Scribble Sticks. I added black to the centre of the flowers.
 
I also began to outline the flowers and petals using a fine pen.
I added in leaves and a few stems too.




I also added white gel pen to the centre of the flowers.
 
See!! There they are!!
 
Ok, time to add my photos, and a few layers behind them.
 
 
Vicki has just got these awesome stamps in.....and I may have bought quite a few.....to see the range head HERE
 
 
 
 
I selected the scalloped border.
I stamped it onto some scrap and cut it out.
 
 
 
 
I then added a few tags by 7Dots (of course!). I used my fave tags - Writer's Block, and added a few 7Dots embellishment stickers too.
 
 
 
 
Now it's time to add some metal!
 
I love these gorgeous silver metal flowers, and knew they'd be perfect against the blue flowers.
 
 

 

I adhered them with some 3D Gloss Gel.  Such an easy way to add metal - and it allows you to tuck it in between your layers.




I then cut out a few of the butterlies from that gorgeous 7Dots paper - .Garden Party - Born  I had left on my desk from my previous creation.



Now time for the journaling, and capturing the story behind the photos.
 
This one's all about my daughter being accepted into the NYSF Program for 2019, which includes a trip to Canberra to engage in all things science-y.
It's a highly sought after achievement, and is a national program, so we were so excited that she was selected. She'd worked so hard.
Isn't she amazing? Brains and beauty!
 
So proud, definitely needs documenting.
These photos were taken at an acknowledgement ceremony at Government House.
 
 
I used some 7Dots Word Stickers and an embellishment sticker, which I recorded the facts on.




Then for the title, I added some 13Arts Clear Stickers.




I then wrote my personal words around these.




I really love the way these clear words look on the page - I love that they merge into the background - fits perfectly with the hand-drawn elements amongst my flowers.




I'm really happy with how this turned out.




I love the artsy style, I definitely feel like I'm getting braver with my painting!
 
The trick - just try it!
 



 
 
So are you having a go at out 'Metals and Petals' Challenge?
 
 
 
 
It's a goodie....and all you need to do is upload your entry - whether it be a layout, an art journal page, some cards, a canvas, some tags....whatever!
 
Just make sure to use some products available from Scrap Matrix, and include some metals (could be actual metal - Scrap Matrix has stacks! You'll find them HERE, or it could be chippy you've altered to look like metal), and some petals (flowers, stamped, stencilled, drawn, painted......)
 
Load it into the correct album in our Facebook Scrap Matrix Shares page, and let us know in the comments what the products are.
 
I can't wait to see what you do......the possibilities are endless!
 
I hope today has inspired you to get a bit painty......
 
I'll be back next month.
 
Luv Tam
xxx
 
 
Scrap Matrix Products used:
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously Tam !! You make the prettiest 'blobs' .. you make it seem so simple !!! Love this page so much !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. paint for exterior

    ReplyDelete