Saturday 3 November 2018

Tam's Metals and Petals share...

Hi all

Tam here today to share my creation for the 'Metals and Petals' November Challenge.

Such a gorgeous combo, but I wanted to do something a little different.
When we think of petals, I guess we immediately think of flowers.......I decided to go elsewhere.

A butterfly wing reminds me of a petal. RIGHT?!? It was the first thought that popped into my head, so I decided to go with it.


 
 
Yep, you can see that a few flowers, mainly my favourite Aall & Create Stamp crept in there too....
 
 


Just love those metal butterflies, and how their wings (petals) just fly right off the page.


 

So let's have a look at how this page came together.




I began by selecting my background paper, and the paper that sparked the whole idea.....the latest 7Dots Studio Garden Party paper......




I began by cutting out some of the butterflies from the black and white photo.




I then created my background....

I love this stamp by Stampers Anonymous. I used the butterfly to stamp onto the background. I ensured I repeated the design and also ensured that some of the stamp was half on and half off.

This helps with the flow and movement across the layout.



I then stamped one of the sayings from that stamp by Stampers Anonymous to use for my title and my journaling.
I trimmed it down into segments.



Next I used my favourite AALL & Create stamp No 20. It definitely appears on all my layouts lately!
I stamped this onto white cardstock.
I find as it's such a large stamp, its difficult to get a perfect image - this does NOT worry me at all.
I like imperfection and I also always cut down the stamp into smaller pieces anyway so if there's one patch that's particularly faint, I just disregard it.

 
 
You can see here that this stamp image is a bit faint in sections. I used my Fudeball pen to draw over the top and fill in the gaps.
 
 
 
 

I pop these aside, ready for the tucking in part, once my layout has come together a little more.

Now onto the Metal.......


 
 
Love the shape of these metal butterflies.
I added black gesso to them.
They come up beautifully!
I love that this gives them a more modern feel, rather than vintage.


 
 
Time to start putting it altogether.
I reach for my 'go to' 7Dots tags, and also create a few of my own to poke out from behind the photos.
 
 
 
 
The photos are a sequence of 3....my gorgeous little niece in USA.
She is a pure delight, and her mama is just a beautiful earthy chick who inspires me in so many ways. She values homemade, real and nature. She embraces the outdoors, believes in fairies, and sees the planet as her little one's backyard.
 
 
 
 
I love that these photo's capture that joy, that absolute love, that wonder.
Just magic.
 
 
 
 
I printed two photos in black and white and one in colour.....I decided to go with the black and white theme with a few touches of green and yellow to highlight the flowers and grass.
 
 
 
 
So after lots of tucking of flowers and tags, I added butterflies....I wanted them to look like they were taking flight up the page.



I stuck everything down with this 3D Gloss Gel - so good for sticking metal, and great too if you want things to have some dimension - also great for poking flowers and bits into and around your photos.



The final step was to add a bit of water to some yellow paint (I used Dina Wakley) and flick it over the layout. There's my POP of yellow!






Let's take a closer look at those metal butterflies in flight.....







 
I hope that's inspired you to enter our challenge.
Vicki has a $30 voucher up for grabs, she also has lots of amazing new products, so what have you got to lose?  At the very least you will have completed a page, and had a chance to be creative.
You could even be asked to guest design for Scrap Matrix!!
 
Just be inspired by Metals and Petals....
 
 
 
 
Create something......a layout, a journal page, some cards, a few tags....the list is endless!!
 
Upload it to our Facebook Scrap Matrix Shares Group - in the appropriate folder and let us know which products you used from Scrap Matrix.
The more the merrier, but the minimum is only one!!
 
I look forward to seeing what you create....
 
Much love, I'll be back again soon, but if you'd like to see a bit more of my work just head to my blog
 
Tam
xx
 
 
Scrap Matrix Products used:
 
woodgrain paper
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments: