Thursday 20 September 2018

You've been framed. A second post from Helen

Welcome back to the Scrap Matrix challenge where this month we are asking you to use frames on your project. You can make a layout, an art journal page or a card.

They can be any type of frames; big, small, square, round, anything you like.   Why not pop over to see what the rest of the team have created to inspire you?


The subject on my page is my darling Grand daughter, who was recently diagnosed with some visual problems and now needs to wear glasses.
The frames of her specs sparked the idea for my layout.

I chose to blur one of the photos to demonstrate how she 
used to see the world before she got her specs. She took to them like a duck to water; her spelling and reading improved almost immediately and she wears her purple frames with pride.

Recently, I was lucky enough to take some classes with Tracy Scott and I've used  her techniques to make the flowers.

It was wonderful to gather with scrappy friends, to laugh, learn and get really messy. I caught up with some of the Design Team, met old friends and made new ones, all in a fun atmosphere.  Thanks so much Vicki Christensen for organizing such a brilliant event.



I covered the paper with a layer of Dina Wakley clear gesso 
as I planned to use mixed media on the page.

The glasses frames are from a cut file by Silhouette.


To add some texture, I scraped some Finnabair modeling paste 
through a stencil from AALL & Create, #13



The purple splashes were made with Tim Holtz Distress Oxides, Wilted Violet; I love how versatile this product is; 
I seem to use it on everything.


The next step was to finger paint a piece of white card stock with Paper Artsy Chalk Inks - Bougainvillea, Caribbean Sea, Banana, Limelight, Lavender.  Then I dried it off with a heat tool. This finger painting was a technique that we did with Tracy... 


Now comes the fun part!   
I chose lots of flower stamps and filled up the entire page using Black Ink.  I used Tim Holtz Archival, Jet Black before drying the card stock again with a heat tool.

The stamps are all from Paper Artsy; ETS21, ETS18, ETS16, ETS06.
I love them all and there are so many more that I need like!

After the classes on the weekend, some of the stamps have sold out, but they are on order again, so it won't be long until they are back in stock.


Next I flicked on lots of splats with Paper Artsy Gold paint. Tracey said the more the merrier.  I ended up with gold everywhere, even on my glasses!  Next time, I'll take it outside.

The final step is to fussy cut the images; something relaxing to do in front of the TV while someone else does the dishes!



To ensure the stamping and splats were completely dry, I went on with prepping the chipboard with white gesso. It's called Blue Fern Stars.  I noticed that firm is closing down, so if you love these chippies; it's time to stock up.

Whoops!  I forgot to photograph the painted stars.  I just mixed some Tim Holtz Distress Oxides, Seedless Preserves and Salty Ocean, to get the pink colour I wanted. You can see them in the next photo.


Just playing around with placement, to emphasize the world in colour and in focus, that is now part of my DGD's life.


Finally I added a few bits of black stamping here and there.
I used  AALL & Create #23, (temporarily out of stock) and 
some oldies from my stash.

Phewh!  Congrats if you read all the way to the end, 
it's a bit of a marathon post.

Thanks for calling in today, I hope you find time to play along, 
just add your entry to the Scrap Matrix Shares page in the corresponding folder; don't forget to let us know what Scrap Matrix products you used and what inspired you.  You could be in the running for a $30.00 gift voucher from the generous Vicki Christensen and perhaps a Guest Design Team spot down the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment