Saturday 3 August 2019

Tam gets zentangling and mandaling!

Hi you lovely creative people!!

Tam here today to share a couple of projects for the very very awesome challenge!!
This one may be my favourite yet!! (I know, I know, I say that often lol).

SO MANY IDEAS popped into my brain the moment I saw the image. Let's take a look at a couple of them....




This one was created by tracing over a stencil, and then adding some doodles/zentangles into the spaces.

I was super pleased with how it came up!

Mind you, it took 3 nights to do the pen work, and then a couple of hours to colour it in.
My mindfulness activity for the week!!




To begin, I pulled out this stencil by The Crafter's Workshop - 12x12" Sun Valley
I also grabbed a pencil, and a sheet of paper from the Large Art by Marlene Journals.




I then simply place the stencil over the paper and began to trace!






This is what I was left with....I only pressed very lightly with the pencil. 




Next, I grabbed a Fudeball pen (these are water resistant, so they won't run when colour and water is added) and went over these lines, adding in doodles and zentangles as I went.




I tried not to overthink it, just enjoyed the process.




Once this part was complete, I nearly left it at that! 
I loved the black and white feel, but hey who am I kidding!!
We all know I'm ALL about colour, so time to grab out my watercolours.





I purposely left a few white spots, just to add a 'pop'.




Definitely worth all the time!

Ok, so on to my next project.
After that time consuming one I was keen to do something really quick.




I took inspiration from the Mandalas in the Challenge and also I really loved the colours in one of the pictures, so I went with those....




This page uses a technique that I've used a few times.

It's really quick and easy so thought I'd share with you all....




I began by gathering my supplies.

I chose the Tracy Scott Mandala Stencil, my handmade art journal (made by my fabulous and talented friend Michelle Bee), and some Paper Artsy Paints.

I used 'Beach Hut', 'Lavender', 'Cherry Red' and 'Cerise'.




I then applied a coat of gesso to the pages.




I then added some messy paint in 'Beach Hut' along the top of the page.
I spritzed with lots of water so it ran down the page.




I then dried it off with a heat gun.




I then did the same with the 'Lavender', until I was happy with the drips.




Once dry, I squeezed out some of each of the paints onto my craft mat and then using a dry baby wipe (I have so many dried out ones, but I still use them all the time)! I wiped some of the colours through the stencil.

I changed the colours every so often, and moved the stencil until I was happy with what I'd created.




Next, I went in with my Fudeball pen and very loosely drew around the shapes from the stencil.
I wanted this to look imperfect and messy, so the secret is to work quickly and repetitively.
Go over each bit a couple of times.




I then added some splatters of paint




To tie the black pen marks in, I added black paint around the edges, and a few flicks too.





I then simply added one of Marlene's stickers from her Whimsy Sticker pack.

I scribbled around the edges and added a hint of journaling. 





That is it!!

I really love the way rubbing paint through the stencil with a wipe gives a translucent feel to the image.




I'm loving those colours!!

So what are you going to create for this month's challenge??
Do you have lots of ideas like me?
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Here's a reminder of the challenge...




Just add your creation into the 'August - Mandalas and Zentangles' Album over on our Facebook Scrap Matrix Shares page, and let us know in the comments what products you used from the Scrap Matrix store!
Yep, that easy, no need to blog.
You could win a voucher to the store, or even a Guest Design Spot!

See you again soon with some more inspiration.
Until then, you can check out my BLOG if you'd like to see more from me....





No comments:

Post a Comment