Friday 12 October 2018

'Dear Me' by Tam

Hi everyone, Tam here and today I'm sharing with you something very personal, something that I have struggled with over the years.
I am definitely putting myself out there and I am actually terrified.  But I am doing it for a few reasons.

  1.  It's something I've been meaning to do for years, but never have - always making excuses.
  2.  I believe scrapbooking/creating is a highly personal as well as therapeutic process.  It is definitely somewhere I turn in times of stress.  I need it to cope with life's challenges. So it's important that I scrap the darkness as well as the light. 
  3. I'm all about words and photos. About telling your story. So much of what we create now has no journaling, no handwriting. My voice, my words are an integral part of my creating. If I don't have a story, then I struggle - I just sit and shuffle. For me, the story is the base for everything else, it's the spark.
  4. Maybe, just maybe this idea will resonate with some of you.
  5. It's therapeutic for me. I need to do this.
So here goes....

As soon as I saw the 'You've got Mail' Challenge, my mind began whispering "it's time..." I tried so hard to ignore it, but it was very persistent!
I have written myself a letter, a very important letter of forgiveness and acceptance.




So it's titled 'Just for You' and it begins 'Dear Me' and ends with 'Love Me'.



Once I'd made the decision to create this page, it just kind of happened, it flowed out of me and onto the paper and I'm so glad it did.  The words were added without a draft, there was no need to practice, my heart knew what it needed to say.

It was so therapeutic.

As this page was all about myself.....I decided to have a go at hand painting and then fussy cutting some roses and leaves (something else I've wanted to do for a long time) and mixing these up with my favourite 'Aall & Create' Stamp.

So let's look at how this page came together....




I began by adding a thin layer of white gesso to some white cardstock.

Whilst this was drying, I began painting my roses and leaves.



I used my Prima Watercolours - I have 'Tropical'.  I LOVE the colours.
I ended up not using the yellow roses or the green leaves, so they are on my desk waiting for something else.




Once dry, I cut them all out.




I then stamped using Archival Ink and that gorgeous AALL & Create Stamp.  As you can see they didn't stamp perfectly - I need to refill my ink I think. (lol - I sound like Dr Suess!) but that really doesn't matter. I'm happy with imperfection.
If an area really bothered me, I just went over it with my Fudeball black pen.

Ok, time to go back to the background.




I used the 'packaging technique' for the background. 
I added some watercolour to some old plastic packaging, and then I turned this over onto my backround, smoodging and smooshing as I went!!



I really love the effect this technique gives, and the amount of control I have over where the paint ends up!




I then added layers behind my photos, and I created some tags from leftover scraps of paper.



I began poking these out from underneath my photos.




I then began to add the flowers and leaves - I wanted them to look like they were cascading down the page.
I also knew I wanted to write the letter directly onto the background and so I made sure I left enough space for that.




Time to write that letter....
I added a 13Arts Clear Sticker as my title.....I popped this down first so I knew where to start the words.






Some of the flowers are adhered with foam dots to give extra dimension.




I love the look of the black and white stamped images alongside the bright flowers.




I added a few embellishments too - a little chippy heart and that gorgeous 'German Scrap Pen Nib'.
 
 


I also added in some 13 Arts Clear phrase stickers.....they were just perfect, and I love the way they become part of the background.




I will definitely be using more painted flowers in the future..... I see a whole new style evolving.


 

Have you thought about writing yourself a letter?.......what would you say to your 15 year old self? What does your soul need to hear?
I recommend it.

Here's a quick reminder of the moodboard to use for inspiration:

Just pop your entry in the 'You've Got Mail' folder over on our Scrap Matrix Shares Facebook Group. It doesn't have to be a scrapbooking layout....it could be an Art Journal page, some cards, a canvas. Just let us know what Scrap Matrix Products you used in the comments and you could win either a $20 voucher at the store or a chance to guest design in one of our upcoming challenges!!




I really hope you have enjoyed this post, don't hesitate to reach out to me.
 
Love Tam
xxx




Scrap Matrix products used:

White Gesso
White Bazzill
Watercolour Paper Pad
Prima Watercolours - Tropical
AALL & Create Stamp #20
13Arts Marta's Small Message Clear Stickers
13 Arts Stickers Clear - Secret Letter
13 Arts Paper -
7Dots Studio Paper Pad - Verano Azul
German Scrap Pen Nib Black
7Dots Airmail Die Cut Elements
Fudeball pen
Ranger Ink Black






 

2 comments:

  1. Love the concept of this Tam x I can't read it, nor do I need to. Big pat on the back to you for being brave and vulnerable and sharing 😍😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. A professional junk service will have the facilities to operate on a larger scale than just the home. They can often be required at large building sites to clear away unwanted junk which is accumulated during the building process. Junk removal Thousand Oaks

    ReplyDelete