Wednesday 18 July 2018

Loved .. with Alz

Morning peeps!

I'm back today to share my second project for the current Scrap Matrix challenge .. How Sweet It Is.

Loved

I was inspired by the yummy pistachio-ish green and vintage-y kraft colours, the love heart and, most of all, the song lyrics "How sweet it is to be loved by you".


I knew how I wanted this layout to look, but wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to translate my 'vision' to the page. So I started experimenting with, yet again, my favourite Dina Wakley Media stamp set .. Abstract Blooms. I didn't want the stamping to be 'heavy' so used a Watering Can (instead of Jet Black)  Ranger Archival Ink to do my stamping. I like the softer look the Watering Can gives. Once I had established that the stamped images looked good on the reverse sides of the yummy (pun intended lol) Studio 75 Yummy patterned papers (I used 03 and 04), I cut them out. I did try colouring a few of the flowers but decided I was right first time around, and left them plain with the kraft colour coming through.


Incidentally, if you like to create on neutral, kraft-like coloured backgrounds, I can't recommend the Studio 75 Yummy patterned papers to you highly enough. They are a lovely weight to work with, distress well, cut through like butter, and the colours on the other side (reds and yellows) are just as yummy (again, lol, pun intended) as the kraft coloured sides. I know there are more yummy (sigh lol!) kraft coloured papers in store, but for now, let's focus on the Studio 75 Yummy ones.  ;)

Next it was time to move on with my background. As I've said above, I was really inspired by the pistachio-like, green tones in the mood board. I'm not entirely sure why. I mean I know its Tammy's favourite colour, but is it mine?? I wouldn't say so, but this patterned paper by Maja Design (drool!) from the Coffee in the Arbour collection is to die for .. Feel the Grass (I'd much rather smoke it but that's another story .. did I just say that out aloud? oops he he he!). Why do I drool over the Maja Design patterned papers? First and foremost, their weight is perfect. Just heavy enough to carry a lot of mixed media, but not so heavy to be inflexible or rigid in your album. The patterns, whilst seemingly a little shabby chic/vintage, are generally delicate and work well as backgrounds. If the pattern isn't so delicate you're pretty much assured the reserve pattern will be. They also have a white core which makes distressing a breeze. If you haven't tried them out yet, you might as well pop a few into your next order. Especially as they're on sale at the moment.  ;)

Anyways, first up I used Snow White Colour Blast Paste over a 12x12 TCW Template (Tiny Circles).  Once dry, it was just a little too sparkly for my 'vision' so I randomly ran a brayer over my page and some of those raised tiny circles. In this instance, instead of my 'go to' white gesso, I've used a Paper Artsy Fresco Finish acrylic paint in Nougat. Although I left plenty of sparkly tiny circles, it now needed a little oomph. I got my oomph by using Metallic Rub Ons. I used the gold from Kit 4. So as not to get it spread all over the page, I placed my Tiny Circles 12x12 TCW Template back on top of my page so the raised tiny circles poked through. This enabled me to be quite precise in where I rubbed on the gold colour with .. wait for it .. my finger! So quick and easy.

see how it sparkles?
ps: I forgot to take a pic of the painted background before adding the gold 
so we'll just pretend for now that there is one here yeah?
applying the gold rub on
(couldn't manage to take a picture of my grubby finger actually doing this
and hold my phone at the same time!)
the finished background (or is it???)

So I'm reckoning right about now that I've finished my background. Buuuut I figured I'd go wash the gold off my finger and make a cuppa. When I came back to my page I realised it still needed something to lift it. My absolute favourite product of the moment came to the rescue .. irResistible Spray! I used New Sprout.

Done!

The next bit was the easy bit. Some layering, embellishing, final touches and Bob's your uncle. Well actually, he's mine, or was till he passed .. lived up in Mildura with Aunty Joan (who's still with us) .. a pretty part of Victoria .. darn hot though. 

Moving on ..


I ripped some small strips off the Studio 75 Yummy patterned papers and kind of randomly stuck them down, but so they'd flow. Out came my next favourite product of the moment .. Dina Wakley Media Tissue Paper. OMGee this stuff is to die for. Here, I found it positively perfect for layering, using little torn up strips like washi tape but not, and for cutting out shapes. For this page, I've cut out four hearts, stapled them together, and then ruffled them up a bit to create some dimension. I figured out where I was going to stick down my cut out Abstract Blooms, coloured the leaves green with a pencil from the Prima Watercolour Pencils Scenic Route tin, and added a small length of Vintage Lace 5 in black and a Petaloo craft brown Doily to my layers. I also tucked in a Petaloo Botanica Mini Pistachio flower and created my title with Black Fitzgerald American Crafts Thickers. Finally, as per usual, I printed my journaling with a free font I found online called 1942 report.

A few close ups ..


Did I manage to capture my 'vision'? Yep! Well mostly. I think. Most likely by the time I finished this layout I couldn't remember what my 'vision' had been, but at least it provided me with a starting point!

Now, don't forget that Scrap Matrix has changed the dates for its monthly challenge. Our challenges now run from the 1st of the month to the last of the month. So you have until midnight on the 31st to get a photo of your layout, or other project, uploaded to the Scrap Matrix Shares Facebook page. Please don't forget to let us know the products you've used which are available at Scrap Matrix.

Well, that's it for me today. I hope you're having a great July and enjoying doing your taxes!!

Cheers .. Alz  :)



Scrap Matrix products used:
Colour Blast Paste - Snow White
TCW Template - 12x12 Tiny Circles
irResistible Spray - New Sprout
Studio 75 Yummy - 03 and 04
Ranger Archival Ink - Watering Can
Vintage Lace 5 - Black

No comments:

Post a Comment